Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Daydreaming

"Je ne reconnais plus/Ni les murs, ni les rues/Qui ont vu ma jeunesse"

I spent the day sitting on a terrasse, sipping coffee and savoring pain au chocolat. All the while waiting for that family friend to come up with some more info on those missing goods. I hate waiting. Give me a little action any day.

I tried to make the best of things and people watched. It was a beautiful day - almost spring - and the crowds were out, milling around the artists. I watched a young couple for a while. They were so much in love, you could see it in their faces, in the way they looked at one another. It was breathtaking. And I remember that feeling. So I made up stories about them. Maybe they were a young couple on their honeymoon? On a lovers' getaway? Maybe they were art dealers, taking a break between finds.

After three cups of wonderful coffee, I finally got the message I'd been waiting for. Say what you will about my family, but sometimes the connections can be invaluable. I've a new lead on the goods and I leave tonight.